Friday 10 July 2009

Calorie Restriction.

When I say calorie restriction I'm talking about eating a daily calorie intake of roughly 1,200 - 1,800, maybe a little more or less depending on the person. I don't mean a couple of hundred calories each day.

It's something that's interested me, but I've never really bothered to look it up until now. I found an interesting article in the New York Magazines website: http://nymag.com/news/features/23169/ and it definately provided me with some information.
Firstly, I was surprised by the amount of calories eaten. All of the people mentioned in the article eat 1,300 calories or over.
Secondly, they didn't seem particularly obsessed with their weight at all, it was more about health over all.

I was first introduced to the concept of Calorie Restriction (sometimes referred to as CR or CRON, which stands for Calorie Restriction Optimum Nutrition) when I read the blog of Dylan, ex-maintainer of the Livejournal Proanorexia website and argueably quite the sociopath. I was slightly intrigued but decided that obsessing with my weight was enough, I simply didn't have the energy to find out how much zinc, vitamin K, sodium etc everything I consumed contained.

But now, as the thought of recovery occasionally skims through my mind, it is becoming more of an option. I'd be eating more, I'd be eating healthily and my weight wouldn't zoom up. Could CR be the answer for me and others suffering from eating disorders?

Right now I don't feel ready for recovery, but I hope one day I'll embrace it, perhaps with the help of calorie restriction.

No comments: